Book Riot puts together an annual challenge to help break us diversify our reading lists.
Here is my list for Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge 2022. Books in bold are books that I’ve read.
All books are available to purchase from my Bookshop store! If you buy from this link, I will receive a small commission, and part of the proceeds will go to independent bookstores.
1. Read a biography of an author you admire
2. Read a book set in a bookstore
3. Read any book from the Women’s Prize shortlist/longlist/winner list
4. Read a book in any genre by a POC that’s about joy and not trauma
5. Read an anthology featuring diverse voices
6. Read a nonfiction YA comic
7. Read a romance where at least one of the protagonists is over 40
8. Read a classic written by a POC
9. Read the book that’s been on your TBR the longest
10. Read a political thriller by a marginalized author BIPOC or LGBTQIA+
11. Read a book with an asexual and/or aromantic main character
12. Read an entire poetry collection
13. Read an adventure story by a BIPOC author
14. Read a book whose movie or TV adaption you’ve seen (but haven’t read the book)
15. Read a new-to-you literary magazine (print or digital)
16. Read a book recommended by a friend with different reading tastes
17. Read a memoir written by someone who is trans or nonbinary
18. Read a “Best __ Writing of the year” book for a topic and year of your choice
19. Read a horror novel by a BIPOC author
20. Read an award-winning book from the year you were born
21. Read a queer retelling of a classic of the canon, fairytale, folklore, or myth
22. Read a history about a period you know little about
23. Read a book by a disabled author
24. Pick a challenge from any of the previous years’ challenges to repeat!